Friday, November 22, 2013

Making Christmas, Week 6

I finally finished the scarf that I have been working on (off and on) for nearly a year now!  I tried a new technique called tunisian or afghan crochet.  It's kind of a melding between crochet and knitting... you use a super long crochet hook (called an afghan hook) and pick up stitches like in knitting... but then you pull through loops as you do in crochet.  The end result is a scarf that looks like it was knit in stockinette stitch, but it is much thicker and stretches differently.


Tunisian crochet is quite the interesting crafting technique and I think I will have to explore it some more!

I also finished this little guy:


This is Greep, the 3rd and final Rainbow Monster!  Don't let his annoyed expression fool you, Greep is really quite pleased to make your acquaintance!  His siblings Plurp and Orango are already available in my Craftsy Shop and he has now joined them there.  The Rainbow Monsters were originally sketched by my brother-in-law Elliot and I translated them into fabric.

...and finally, the updated lists!

The To-Do List:

     [X]  finish crocheting one scarf--DONE!!
     [X]  finish crocheting one pair of hand warmers
     [  ]  finish one embroidered ornament
     [X]  finish one harvest-themed wall hanging
     [X]  finish one paper-pieced pattern--DONE!!
     [  ]  crochet two amigurumi birds
     [  ]  sew four messenger bags
     [X]  sew two six fish pencil cases
     [  ]  sew one stuffed aquatic invertebrate
     [  ]  sew a surprise for Buddy

Bonus Achievements:

     [X]  sew a small zippered bag
     [X]  decorate the porch for halloween
     [X]  make candy favors for halloween
     [X]  make a baby shower gift

MAKING CHRISTMAS 2013

3 comments:

  1. I really like the texture of that tunisian crochet. Your scarf looks great. And Greep is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really interesting. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about tunisian or afghan crochet, I love how yours look. Might have to give it a try one day. Greep is very cute :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete