Sunday, April 15, 2012

Something For Me...

It has been a long time since I made something for myself.  Lately, I've been busy working on projects for other people and trying to think of things that they would like and appreciate.  And while I really enjoy making things for others, I decided that I needed to finish a project that was just what I wanted, just for me!

So I made myself a dress for Easter.


It's an "infinity" style dress in that the top consists of two long panels that can be wrapped and tied in any number of variations.  I found this tutorial a while ago and followed most of it to make my dress.  (Some parts, like the hemline, I made up myself!)

The dress is made out of a heathered purpley-brown jersey-knit material that actually used to be a queen-sized bedsheet that I found at a thrift store.  It is super soft and comfy!  I embellished the hemline with some large silver leaf-shaped charms that I had lying around from another old project.


I'm actually quite proud of the hemline, even if it began as an accident!  I cut the skirt of the dress too short for my liking and had to improvise a way to lengthen it with the little material I had left.  I ended up cutting out small triangles around the perimeter of the skirt and sewing in larger triangles.

(click the image to enlarge it)

This not only gave the hem some length and dimension but it also added some fun "swish!"  

I'll probably be wearing this dress a lot this summer.  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment